Beauty is in the imperfections

A blog of rambles, poetry, the occasional philosophical thoughts, and pieces of me.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Passions that encourage

I have been taking two dance classes this semester. I've been taking modern dance and urban hip hop at my college. And I have to say it's been interesting to dance two completely different styles of dance. At the same time it was so much fun to be apart of both dances. 
I made a few friends and learned a lot about myself through the classes.

I learned that I'm actually a decent if not semi good dancer when I have choreography to learn and perform. I also got reminded how much I miss anything related to theater and performing in general. I was discussing this with one of the girls in my class and how I was upset that there is only one dance company on campus and that while I have experience from other shows, I don't have the background required to be apart of the dance company. We came up with a solution that surprises me. Hopefully, if we can get the dance director to agree, we are going to start another company. One that focuses more on telling a story through dance instead of technique. Im not sure what's going to happen with that but at the same time I really want it to work out.

But I also was asked by three girls in my modern class to craft hair dangles (think those things Johnny Deep wore in his hair during Pirates of the Caribbean). So I did it and people who weren't even in our class came over and told me that I need to set up a booth at a local art event or begin to sell them on the internet. Those comments gave me some things to think about but at the same time it was amazing how much of a blessing it was to hear that people liked my stuff and thought I could make money off of it.

Tonight was such an encouragement to me. I may have only danced in two numbers but I was told that I was a great photographer, artist, and jewelry maker as well. It also pointed out to me that performing is what I want to do for years to come. Just like writing I feel a connection to the stage that is hard to describe. I feel like its home to me, a place like my small group or Fusion, the real me is able to come out and be loved.

I feel the same with dance. I may not be the most amazing dancer in the world but I feel like it is yet another place where my voice is allowed to come through. What does all this mean for my life? I don't know. I'm learning that stuff like this deserves a lot of prayer and thought. But it makes me excited  to see where these passions are going to take me. And I think that's where I need to be for the moment.

Anyways my darlings, enjoy your night and see you soon : )

No comments:

Post a Comment